How did you do that during a holiday season filled with sweets, alcohol and calories?
Have you ever heard of the Boy Scout motto, “Be prepared”? The more prepared and organized you are during the next few months, the better chance you’ll have to keep losing weight.
What are your holiday challenges?
When are you tempted to get off track? Is it when you socialize, shop, travel, or party? Are you tempted because more of your favorite foods are everywhere? Are you a pushover for food pushers?
Work with your Greenlite educator or other support person to figure out your personal temptations and strategize appropriate plans to avoid them.
Get Tasks Done Early
A surefire way to overeat is to try to pack everything you need to do into one month or less. Try these tips to have a stress-free holiday:
– Start your holiday shopping now and wrap presents as you buy them. Online shopping can make mailing packages away to another state or country a snap!
– Baking is always a challenge. Here are a few tips:
Do it while your will power is strong in the morning rather than in the evening
Chew gum while you bake
Wrap and freeze your goodies right away
– Buy, sign and address your holiday cards before December 1
– Make some healthier meals ahead of time and freeze them so you have some meals to eat during the more chaotic days ahead.
– Keep a cooler in your car with healthy snacks especially while you are out shopping.
Keep a Positive Attitude
Lastly, remember a big part of success is directly related to your attitude. If you say from the start, “What’s the use, there is just too much going on?” what do you think will happen? But if you say, “Sure there is a lot of temptation and busyness ahead but if I think and plan ahead now I can do it!” What kind of result will that give you?
Henry Ford once said, “If you think you can, or you think you can’t, you are right!”
Written by Elaine Murphy, Health Educator