In an ideal world, summer is a wonderful time of active days balanced with a relaxing vacation or two.
There’s so much to be said about the restorative power of a vacation (short or long!). Getting away can make you grateful for what you have in your life, inspire you to make changes when you return back home, and remind you of how wonderful it is to de-stress and get a change of scenery.
All that said, it can be challenging to maintain efforts around planning meals and snacks when you’re away from the home front. You’ve worked hard to stay healthy and lose weight, so consider the ways in which you can prevent yourself from slipping while you enjoy your vacation (and yes – a little indulgence is still allowed!):
1) Keep your goal at the top of your mind: Before leaving, revisit your weight-loss goal and imagine yourself a week after your vacation. Are you feeling relaxed from your getaway, or stressed that you gained weight? Place a small note with your goal weight in your wallet to remind you that you are moving in that direction.
2) Stay fit while you explore your vacation spot: From renting bikes and enjoying walking tours to swimming and other adventures, there are lots of ways to burn calories and keep your fitness level consistent while enjoying vacation.
3) Plan ahead for snacks: Food that fits your dietary and weight loss plan may be hard to come by at times (like when you’re sitting around at the airport). Try to plan ahead, pack appropriate snacks, and get plenty of water to have on hand (stay hydrated!).
4) Plan unique activity “rewards” instead of food rewards: Fun and unusual experiences will give you a dopamine lift that elevates your mood. Vacation activity rewards can include a shopping spree, a massage, or something else that makes you feel refreshed and rewarded. Plus, feeling good makes it so much easier to stick to your goals.
5) Do enjoy some treats, but keep it in check: Vacation is a huge reward in itself, but exotic flavors and old favorites (like a good ol’ trip to the ice cream parlor) are part of what makes life sweet. Share treats with your loved ones, but plan ahead to burn those calories so you can do so guilt free!
These are just a few of the ways you can plan ahead and stay active while enjoying vacation. When you get back, you’ll have lots of energy and you’ll be thankful you’re still marching toward your goal weight.
Written by Rochelle, Greenlite Educator