This tasty crepe would be a prefect end to your valentines day on a healthy note. If you’re in the mood for something sweet, whip up this sweet berry crepe rather opting for that quintessential box of valentines day chocolates.
Ingredients (1 crepe)
- cooking spray (such as PAM)
- 2 egg whites (or 1/4 egg beaters)
- 2 tablespoons ground flaxseed
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- Cinnamon and ginger or pumpkin pie spice to taste
- 2 tablespoons skim milk (or soy or almond milk)
- sugar substitute (Splenda or Stevia) equivalent of 2 teaspoons of sugar
- 1/3 cup frozen berries (or any other fruit)
- 1/2 tablespoon almond butter, peanut butter or PB2 (try the chocolate kind)
- Combine egg whites, flaxseed, milk, vanilla, baking powder and sugar substitute. Mix well to achieve a consistency similar to french toast batter.
- Preheat a medium sized non-stick frying pan to medium heat and lightly spray with cooking spray. Once pan is hot, pour in mixture. It should create a thin layer at the bottom of the pan and be evenly distributed.
- Cook for about 4-5 minutes or until the crepe looks and smells done, then flip it over to heat the top (this is for good measure but it’s not really necessary).
- Remove crepe from pan and set on a plate. Pour frozen berries into the frying pan, heat berries and add spice or more sweetener if desired. You can add a little water (2-3 tablespoons) and squish the berries to make it a jam-like consistency. Agitate mixture until most of the water has evaporated.
- Spread almond butter on the middle of the crepe, pour hot berry mixture and fold over sides on top of each other (crepe style) or simply fold in half.
Units per serving:
- Protein: 1.5
- Carbohydrate: 1
- Condiment: 1
Nutrition facts per serving:
- 173 Calories (93 from fat)
- 10.5g Fat
- 12g Protein
- 8g Net Carb