A flavorful vegetable soup amped up with protein and fiber packed red lentils.
Ingredients (6 servings – about 1 cup each)
- 1 teaspoon oil
- 2 large garlic cloves, minced
- 1 sweet onion, diced
- 3 celery stalks, diced
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/4-1/2 teaspoon smoked sweet paprika, to taste
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper, or to taste
- 14-oz can diced tomatoes
- 5-6 cups vegetable broth, more if desired
- 1 cup red lentils, rinsed and drained
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 2 handfuls torn kale leaves or spinach
- In a large pot, sauté the onion and garlic in oil for about 5-6 minutes over medium heat. Add in the celery and sauté for a few minutes more.
- Stir in the bay leaf and the spices (cumin, chili powder, coriander, paprika, cayenne). You can add half the spices and add more later if you prefer.
- Stir in the can of tomatoes (including juice), broth, and lentils. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, and then simmer, uncovered, for about 20-25 minutes, until lentils are tender and fluffy.
- Stir in kale or spinach and season to taste adding more spices if you wish. You can also add finely chopped chicken, ground turkey or shrimp as additional protein.
Units per serving:
- Protein: 1
- Carbohydrate: 2*
Nutrition facts per serving:
- 127 Calories (15 calories from fat)*
- 1.5g Fat
- 9g Protein
- 19g Net Carbs*
* Carbohydrate and calorie content is overestimated, as some of the carbohydrates in legumes are poorly digested by the body.