These elegant smoked salmon rolls are the perfect addition to any holiday party. They make for a wonderful low carb treat to share among family and friends.
Ingredients (makes 18 hors d’oeuvres)
- 1/4 lb. fat-free or low-fat cream cheese, at room temperature
- 2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon finely grated lemon zest
- 3 tablespoons thinly sliced fresh chives
- Kosher salt
- 3/4 cup shaved fresh fennel
- 8 oz. thinly sliced smoked salmon (not hot-smoked)
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped fennel fronds
- In a small bowl, mix the fat-free cream cheese, lemon juice, zest, chives, and 1/8 teaspoon salt.
- To assemble, lay an 8- or 8-inch-long sheet of plastic wrap on the counter. Slightly overlap slices of salmon on the plastic to create a rectangle measuring about 3 1/2 x 7 inches. The long side of the rectangle should be parallel to the edge of your work surface. Cover with another sheet of plastic and press gently with your hands or a flat spatula to encourage the salmon to stick together. Remove the top sheet of plastic.
- Using a thin metal offset spatula or a butter knife, spread about 2 tablespoons of the cream cheese mixture on the salmon, leaving a 1/2-inch border along the long sides. Arrange about a third of the fennel shavings length-wise on the lower half of the salmon. Sprinkle the fennel lightly with salt.
- Starting at the long side closest to you and using the plastic wrap as an , gently roll up the salmon to enclose the filling. Gently press the roll together at the seams. Transfer the roll to a cutting board. Cut the roll into 6 pieces. Repeat with the remaining salmon, cream cheese mixture, and fennel to make two more rolls.
- Arrange the rolls on a platter, cut side up. Garnish with the chopped fennel fronds.
- Protein: 1
Nutrition data for 2 hors d’oeuvres serving: