Traditionally, a bouillabaisse is served over thick slices of French bread. This low carb version omits the bread and highlights the rich blend of flavors from the spiced broth, savory vegetables, and fresh seafood.
Ingredients (5 servings – 1 1/2 cups each)
- 1 pound unpeeled medium shrimp
- 6 cups water
- cooking spray (preferably olive oil)
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 2 cups chopped tomato
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 cups fat-free, reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1/2 pound fresh lump crab meat, drained
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1/4 cup dry white wine
- Peel and devein shrimp. Bring water to a boil in a large saucepan; add shrimp, and cook 3 to 5 minutes or until shrimp are done. Drain well, and set aside.
- Coat a Dutch oven (or a large stock pot) with cooking spray; add oil. Place over medium-high heat until hot. Add tomato and next 5 ingredients; sauté 5 minutes or until onion is tender. Add broth; bring to a boil. Add shrimp, crab meat, cilantro, and wine. Reduce heat, and simmer 2 minutes.