This low carb version of lasagna uses vegetables instead of noodles to create this delicious Italian favorite. Simple to make and sure to please family and friends at the dinner table!
Ingredients (6 servings)
- 2 large zucchinis
- 2 large portabella mushrooms
- 1 large eggplant
- 1 24 ounce jar tomato sauce (60 cal per serving)
- 12 ounces ground turkey (after cooked, should yield approximately 8oz)
- 1.5 cups fat free ricotta cheese
- 1 egg white
- 16 oz frozen spinach
- 1/2 cup low fat mozzarella cheese
- 2 tbsp parmesan cheese
- 1 tbsp chopped basil
- 1/4 tsp salt
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Cook ground turkey and set aside
- Cut zucchini and eggplant lengthwise into 1/4 inch slices. Cut portabella into strips. Place zucchini, portabella, and eggplant on lightly greased cookie sheets and bake for about 10 minutes each side (or until soft when prick with a fork). You can also cook in a skillet but takes much longer.
- In a large bowl, mix the spinach, egg white, ricotta cheese, basil and salt. Stir well and set aside.
- Spray a large casserole dish pan with nonstick spray.
- Pour half of the tomato sauce into the bottom of the pan.
- Then, layer half of the veggie slices on top in assorted order.
- Spread half of the spinach mixture on top.
- Next, sprinkle the ground turkey on top of that.
- Cover with remaining tomato sauce.
- Then, evenly top the lasagna with the mozzarella and parmesan.
- Cook for 30 minutes, uncovered. Until cheese on top starts to brown.
Units per serving:
- 4 Very Lean Protein
- 2 Carbohydrates
Nutrition facts per serving:
- 252 calories
- 4.63 g Fat
- 27.53 g Protein
- 14.6 g Net Carbohydrates
Original recipe by Lauren O’Brien. A healthy adaptation by GreenLite Medicine.