You’ll be surprised by how good this salad tastes. You can make it with or without the brussels sprouts, if you don’t like them.
Ingredients (4 servings)
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon minced shallot
- 1 small garlic clove, finely grated
- 1/8 teaspoon kosher salt plus more for seasoning
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1 large bunch of Tuscan kale (about 3/4 pound), center stem discarded, leaves thinly sliced
- 6 ounces brussels sprouts, trimmed, finely grated or shredded with a knife
- 1 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 3 tablespoons coarsely chopped almonds (with skins)
- 1/2 cup finely grated Pecorino cheese
- Combine lemon juice, Dijon mustard, shallot, garlic, 1/4 teaspoon salt, and a pinch of pepper in a small bowl. Stir to blend; set aside to let flavors meld.
- Mix thinly sliced kale and shredded brussels sprouts in a large bowl.
- Heat a small skillet over medium-low heat. Add almonds to skillet and stir frequently until golden brown in spots, about 2 minutes. Transfer almonds to a plate and sprinkle slightly with salt.
- Slowly whisk olive oil in lemon-juice mixture. Season dressing to taste with salt and pepper.
- Add dressing and cheese to kale mixture; toss to coat. Season lightly with salt and pepper. Garnish with almonds.
Note: Dressing, kale mixture, and toasted almonds can be prepared 8 hours ahead. Cover dressing and kale mixture separately and chill. Cover almonds and let stand at room temperature.