Warmer weather is on the way! What better way to welcome the spring season than by whipping up this fresh creation to enjoy with friends and family. Serve over a bed of raw spinach.
Ingredients (8 servings)
- 2 medium eggplants (about 1 pound each), cut into 1-inch cubes
- 2 large red or yellow bell peppers, de-seeded and cut into strips
- Cooking spray, preferably olive oil
- 1 tablespoon coarse salt, or more to taste
- Freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 can (15.5 ounces) chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1 cup (4 ounces) crumbled nonfat or low-fat feta cheese
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh mint leaves
- Preheat oven to 475 degrees F. Divide cut eggplant and bell pepper between two rimmed baking sheets. Drizzle with oil spray, salt and ground black pepper; toss to coat. Spread in a single layer; roast, turning once, until golden and tender, 25 to 30 minutes. Cool on sheets.
- In a large bowl, whisk together lemon juice and 1 tablespoon olive oil. Add roasted vegetables, chickpeas, feta cheese, and chopped mint leaves; toss to combine. Add more salt and ground black pepper, if desired.
- Serve at room temperature over raw spinach.
Units per serving:
- Protein: 1
- Carbohydrates: 1.5*
Nutrition facts per serving:
- 133 Calories (45 calories from fat)
- 5g Fat
- 7g Protein
- 15g Net Carbs*
* Some of the carbs in legumes such as chickpeas are not absorbed by the body, yielding a very mild insulin response. The carb counting is adjusted accordingly.