This is a simplified and low carb version of a more traditional eggplant involtini recipe where the eggplant is baked in the sauce. In this version, the eggplant is grilled and stuffed with a ricotta cheese filling with no eggs, so baking is not necessary. However, if you like, you can put the involtini in a baking dish, and bake at 350 degrees F. until the cheese is bubbly and begins to brown.
Ingredients (4 servings)
- 1 large eggplant, sliced lengthwise, 1/4 inch thick – aim for 8 slices
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup low-fat ricotta cheese
- 1/4 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Pinch of nutmeg
- 2 tablespoons chopped chives
- 1 cup low-fat mozzarella cheese (such as Trader Joe’s Lite Shredded Mozzarella)
- 1 cup pasta sauce, no sugar added
- Lightly salt the eggplant slices and let stand up to one hour. (If you’re short of time, you can actually skip this step.)
- Mix up the ricotta cheese, Parmesan cheese, pepper, nutmeg, and chives.
- Wipe off the eggplant slices with a paper towel and brush them with the oil. Grill the eggplant, either on a grill pan or an outdoor grill. Cook for about 2-3 minutes per side. You want a little char on them, and you want them to be flexible but not overly soft.
- Assemble. Put a heaping tablespoon of the ricotta mixture in the center of the slice, and roll or wrap lengthwise. Repeat with the other slices. Put each serving (2 roll-ups) on a microwave-proof plate. Spoon 2 tablespoons of the pasta sauce on top of each, and sprinkle with 2 tablespoons of the mozzarella cheese. Heat each plate until cheese on top melts. (Alternatively, you can put in baking dish, and bake in a 350 degrees F oven until the cheese on top is melted.)