This skillet chicken dish is one you can have on the table in 20 minutes, start to finish, using canned green chiles and shredded cheese. The chiles are mild, so this isn’t a spicy dish.
Ingredients (4 servings)
- Cooking oil spray (preferably olive oil)
- 1 lb boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1/4 cup minced onion
- 2 cloves minced garlic
- 6-8 oz canned chopped green chiles
- Small amount of chicken stock or Better than Boullion (optional)
- 1/4 cup Half & Half
- 1/3 cup shredded lowfat cheddar cheese
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Heat large skillet and spray lightly with oil. Cut chicken into bite sized pieces and season with salt and pepper. Saute till brown on both sides, adding onions about half way through.
- Add garlic and cook for another minute. If needed, deglaze the pan with a little water or chicken stock. Add 1 teaspoon Better than Bouillon, if desired.
- Add green chiles and half & half; simmer until chicken is done and sauce is thickened.
- Top with cheese, and serve when cheese melts. Garnish with chopped cilantro, if you like.