This barbecue tofu recipe is perfect for eating with friends and family on a summer day.
Ingredients (4 servings)
- 1 package (14 ounces) regular tofu, firm or extra-firm, drained
- 1/2 cup sugar free barbecue sauce
- 1 tablespoon pure chili powder
- Cooking spray
- 4 large romaine lettuce leafs
- Cut tofu cake horizontally (slicing parallel to work surface) into four rectangles and press.
- Place the tofu in a large bowl and add half the barbecue sauce. Rub the sauce onto each piece of tofu.
- Add in the chili powder and rub onto each side of the tofu. Refrigerate for 1 ½ hours to allow the tofu to marinate.
- Add a little cooking spray to a preheated grill.
- Place each piece of tofu on the grill and let each side sit for 7 minutes. Brush on remaining barbecue sauce on each side as they cook.
- Serve hot or at room temperature, on lettuce wraps and top with cole slaw.
Units per serving:
- 1 Carbohydrate
- 1 Condiment
Nutrition facts per serving:
- 58.5 Calories
- 0 Fat
- 2.2 Net carbs
- 7g Protein
Original recipe from Body+Soul, June 2006. A healthy adaptation by GreenLite Medicine.