We tried Dandy Blend, which is made from the extracts of dandelion and chicory root, and we think it’s a great alternative to your morning cup of joe.
Why Give Up Coffee?
We’ll start off by saying that coffee isn’t inherently “bad,” but there are few reasons you might want to consider replacing it with a healthy alternative:
1. Coffee is a stimulant, and therefore too much of it can tax your adrenal glands. Your adrenals are directly linked to your hormonal health, which is directly linked to your metabolism and tendency to either store or shed fat.
2. If you’re on our GreenLite Medicine program and currently taking appetite suppressants (which are also stimulants), coffee isn’t a good idea as it can be unhealthy for cardiovascular health.
3. Plain coffee is naturally low in calories and carbohydrates, but many coffee drinks – like lattes or mochas – are loaded with extra sugar, fat, and calories.
Enter Dandy Blend
Dandy Blend, on the other hand, has no caffeine and is completely non-stimulating. So while it won’t give you that pep in your step the way coffee does, the taste alone might sell you.
It has a rich, earthy flavor that’s somewhat reminiscent of instant coffee, just without the acidic bite or aftertaste. After doing some basic research, we found that chicory root has long been used as a coffee substitute. Roasted beetroot also gives it a natural mild sweetness.
You can dissolve the grounds into hot water for a “black coffee” alternative, or add cream or milk for a more decadent cup. It’s good hot or iced.
Dandelion root isn’t a substitute for treating any medical issue, but the ingredients may provide some health benefits:
According to the company’s website, here are some of the purported benefits:
- Trace minerals and potassium
- Iron and calcium
- Liver tonic and blood purifier
- One of the best diuretics
- Regulates the gastrointestinal system,
- Good cure for anemia and acne.
- Aids in weight loss
- Promotes healthy digestion
- Helpful for beneficial bacteria in the intestinal tract
- Increases both digestion and nutrient absorption into the blood stream
- Rich in potassium
- Provides support to the immune system
- Promotes synthesis of B vitamins
One of our staff members started drinking Dandy Blend in the morning instead of coffee, and is completely off caffeine because of it. And as far as we can tell, there are no negative side effects associated with the product, so give it a try.
You can buy a 2-lb bag on Amazon for about $26 (which is about the price of two pounds of decent coffee).