Even though we all know how important it is to exercise, it is still challenging to block out the time to do it. Work and family demands can sometimes feel never ending and can make working out on a regular schedule tricky. While time may limit your chances of going to the gym or taking that early morning run, you can still benefit from an impactful workout right at home. You can start by adding a few trainer-recommended exercise essentials to your at-home workout space.
1. Weighted Jump Rope: This is a favorite of both trainers and weight-loss programs. Jump roping is a great way to tone and condition the body. It also improves coordination, agility, and endurance. Beginners should use lightweight ropes to get started, but weighted jump ropes are a good investment for those who want to take things up a notch.
2. Kettlebell: Kettlebells are ball-shaped weights with a handle that come in a million different styles and weights. They are similar in function to dumbbells, but they engage more of the stabilizer muscles than a dumbbell or barbell. Kettlebells can be used for strengthening and also to enhance cardio workouts. Try using a kettlebell or even two when walking or to engage your core when doing ab work.
3. Mini Trampoline (or rebounder): Mini trampolines are making their way back from childhood memories to help you stay fit. Mini trampolines are fairly inexpensive and do not take up as much space as you would assume. Some are even foldable and easy to store in a corner or under a bed. The mini trampoline gives you the opportunity to get a good cardio workout in under 30 minutes. With controlled movements and maybe even some added weights, this is a great workout to boost your weight-loss routine.
4. Yoga Mat: Yoga mats are not just for practicing yoga. While they are designed to provide a little comfort and a sturdy grip for those practicing yoga, they come in handy for other types of physical activity, too. Yoga mats can be used for on the floor ab work, stretching, and thigh workouts.
5. Resistance Bands: Resistance bands are great for strength training or even for warming up before a more intense workout. They are also used to help tone the body. Plus, resistance bands are extremely portable and very easy to store. Consider keeping a pair of resistance bands at home and in the office.